BOOKCLUB: The Little Beach Street Bakery

April Read : Beautiful new life by the sea


I just finished this book, again, last night. That was the second time I have read and finished the book. I am telling you, I will never, ever, tire of it.

It is absolutely lovely.




The book is about Polly who moved out of the city, into a beautiful small harbour-side village on a half-island in Cornwall. It 's connected to the mainland via a little causeway, which becomes fully submerged in water depending on the tide; so the place becomes an island on its own. 

She moved into a rickety old, tiny flat above a deserted bakery right in front of the harbour. From her new home, she could look out the window and see a great expanse of nothingness, where the sky meets and blends with the sea. It felt like the middle of nowhere, which, to Polly, was perfect. 

At the very start of the story, you will be warmly greeted with this. A beautiful reminiscence of the carefree life on the island. 





Jenny Colgan has this magical super power to whisk readers away into these beautiful places, which she describes in such intricate details they seem so real in my mind's eye. I love all her books.

Also, there is something absolutely wonderful in stories about starting over, leaving the city, following one's dreams, and living simply in a beautiful remote place away from the bustle of the city. Is there a specific genre for this? There has to be. 





Anyway, I think there are three Little Beach Street Bakery books by Jenny Colgan (please correct me if I'm wrong), this being the first. The second one is Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery (which I'm about to start now), and the third is Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery (which I need to buy soon!). There are also Polly and the Puffin books, a spin-off from the Little Beach Street Bakery series. I am definitely very interested in these because, NEIL! 

Neil is Polly's handsome pet puffin.


Anyway, this book is a MUST READ... and REREAD.

How much I would rate it? Well, not a 10 out of 10... 

But rather, 12/10! hahaha.

I was wondering if we could just quit our jobs and move to Cornwall to live a quiet life there? 

Well, seeing that we are living in a different country on the other side of the globe, VERY unlikely. And the fact that we are somehow bingeing on Doc Martin at the moment is really not helping. The place is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS. I crave for fish and chips every second of the day!


If anyone's interested to buy Little Beach Street Bakery online, here's a link:



Here's a link for other books by Jenny Colgan:



Keep calm and read on! Stay home and stay safe.







Comments

Popular Posts