Kuih: Tepung Talam Pandan

To satisfy a craving





We have been eating really simply this Ramadan. It has been our little family tradition in recent years - to eat healthy, lean, and simple meals during the fasting month. But with the MCO this year, it has inadvertently escalated to a whole new level of simple.

Usually, after weeks of self-restraint and discipline during breaking fast time, we will travel back to our hometowns on some of the weekends; which would basically mean we get to indulge in heavenly food galores that are mom's cooking and bazaar kuihs (traditional dessert/cakes). However, this year sadly we do not have that privilege. So we haven't had any proper kuihs so far, and I am desperately craving for them.

Today my cravings for kuihs escalated and I needed to eat some kuih already. My craving today was rather specific. It was for steam-cooked kind of kuih. One particular kuih immediately leapt to my mind. Tepung Talam - don't ask me why. Usually if there were a selection of kuihs in front of me, Tepung Talam would be the kuih I wonder why people would even bother eat (no offense, Tepung Talam-ers). But lo and behold, today, I NEEDED TO EAT TEPUNG TALAM.



Tepung Talam is a traditional Malaysian kuih that consists of two layers; The bottom layer flavoured with pandan (screwpine leaves)/gula melaka (palm sugar)/brown sugar, and topped with a rich, luscious, coconut milk layer. This delicious kuih has a soft, pudding like texture and is usually eaten as a dessert in the evenings, and also at breakfast.

I scavenged the world wide web for some simple Tepung Talam recipes, and came across this awesome youtube tutorial (love how the lady speaks in Kedah slang and dialect btw) for Tepung Talam Pandan. The recipe is simple and I have most of the ingredients required - except for pandan leaves. However, I have a bottle of pandan essence at the ready in my pantry. I know it will definitely not taste the same. But it will have to do for now.




We do not have a proper, decent-sized steamer at home. I had to make do with the little steamer attachment of our teeny rice cooker. Therefore, I quartered the actual recipe and used lompang moulds to cook the kuih in. Lompang moulds are tiny little plastic cups (usually bright red) used to steam kuih lompang in. Kuih lompang is a cup-shaped traditional kuih with brown sugar as the main ingredient. This bite-sized pudding-like delicacy is then topped with shredded coconut, and is usually served at tea time or during breakfast. Anyway, that's a story for another day.

The kuih turned out really good, despite tasting a bit chemical-ish from the pandan essence. It will taste best if made using actual pandan juice. I quartered the portion of both the top and bottom layer in the recipe. I would really recommend only halving the portion of the top layer if you are anything like me - I prefer a thicker coconut milk layer. I have taken this into consideration in the altered recipe I share below. Original recipe is by Zalieda Diari Zaliedana.




Craving fixed! Will try this again using actual pandan leaves in the future.
















Comments

Popular Posts